Thursday, March 20, 2008

Silver Lining


Slate is exactly the sort of site I'd post a link to at right if I didn't figure it doesn't need any help from me. It is almost always interesting, and usually varied enough that even the single most boring class/meeting/etc in the world is somewhat improved by its distracting presence. I know this because I performed rigorous, scientifically unimpeachable tests of this theory this afternooon until my laptop's batter ran out.

This week, Slate is running a series of columns all entitled "How Did I Get Iraq wrong?" giving their contributors the enviable opportunity of dealing with questions that even the responsible parties have a tough time doing. And they face something almost as vindictive as the American electorate; commenters on the interwebs.

But really, who needs that? This post is about what we got right in Iraq. Stamps.

American stamps backed in adhesive instead of lickable glue originated in the first Gulf War, so that soldiers could still send letters home, even inspite of the humidity. And this was actually such an innovative thing that the rest of the world still hasn't caught up.

The French may be opposed to American interventions overseas basically unequivocally, but they're the ones still getting tongue paper cuts, suckers! Well . . . and me, for the moment.

No comments: